Plex for iOS 2.4 released
We’re happy to announce the next release of the iOS application with some great new stuff.
- NEW: Social features! You can now add friends to your myPlex account, recommend media to each other, and post directly to your Facebook timeline. Tap account settings and go to the friends tab to send out friend invites. Hold down a media item to recommend it or share to your timeline.
From this page you can tap the Edit button to manage your friends list or invite new friends. (We’ll be streamlining this process, as well as adding new ways to find friends in the near future.)
So once you have a friend, you can recommend media to them, much like you would queue media for yourself. In the iOS and Plex for Mac/Windows players you’ll see recommended media show up alongside your queue.
In addition, you can now link your myPlex account to Facebook (see the social media section on your account page):
Once linked, you can easily post to your wall by choosing the Share action:
We’ll be adding these social features to other clients in upcoming releases.
There’s lots of other stuff as well in this release:
- NEW: Ability to clear cached images.
- NEW: The app can be launched via the plexapp:// URL scheme.
- NEW: Media can be deleted from the app (must be enabled on the server, requires PMS 0.9.6.1 or newer).
- NEW: Automatic video quality adjustment has been restored, allowing the app to select the most appropriate video quality for the current available bandwidth, up to a user-defined maximum.
- NEW: Attempt to automatically select audio & subtitle streams for all parts when playing stacked media.
- NEW: Networked logging option (in advanced settings). Sends iOS and PMS logs to a centralized server in the cloud when enabled, to aid with support.
- NEW: A new look for settings.
- FIX: Channels section was invisible when no channels are installed on the server.
- FIX: TV season posters were low resolution on iPad.
- FIX: Remote control requests include the correct authentication tokens allowing the feature to work via myPlex connections.
- FIX: Marking progress when not signed in to myPlex was broken.
- FIX: More reliable reloading of home screen data.
- FIX: Images flickered while loading.
- FIX: Certain remote buttons weren’t working properly after rotating the device.
- FIX: Wide flag images could get cropped on iPhone.
- FIX: The movie player sometimes switched to portrait orientation when starting a video.
- FIX: myPlex scrobbling was broken.
- FIX: Search wasn’t working when not connected to a server.
- FIX: The on-hold menu wasn’t working when the default playback action was set to “Always Ask”.
- FIX: A couple of crashes on iPhone 3G.
- UPDATE: Translations for Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish.
The new version should be live in the store shortly, we hope you all enjoy it!