Archive for September, 2008
I know you’re getting tired of downloading these endless Plex releases, so I’m very pleased to announce that this should be the last release you’ll have to (manually) download. We’ve included the oft-requested Sparkle update system into Plex. I’m hoping it will make it much easier for people to stay up to date! The default setting is for it to check daily.
The changes in this release (available from the home page)
- FIX: A silly and evil regression that prevented DVDs and other MPEG2 content from playing correctly, and caused crashes in DVD menus.
- NEW: Ryan added support for transcoding DTS audio to AC3 audio, for those who have slightly older receivers. If you want to enable it, change the audio output mode to be Digital, enable AC3 passthrough, and disable DTS passthrough. We also worked together to fix a bug where audio settings weren’t saved correctly, especially for people with external devices. Ryan rocks. If I post a link to his blog, will that inspire him to make his first post?
- NEW: Included the latest MediaStream skin (lovely work, guys, as always!). Added the Plexalicious Unicode fontset to hopefully help our international users.
- FIX: A potential compatibility problem with Remote Buddy (thanks, Felix!)
- FIX: Removed all the remote event settings from being visible, since people were mostly just using them to hurt themselves by turning off the server (and thus rendering their Apple Remote inoperable).
- FIX: Scott (aka Superpea) made a stunning foray into coding and sent me a fix for a problem where a remote library (FTP/XBMSP) was behaving really badly because it kept trying to create video thumbnails remotely. Bad thumbnailer! No biscuit. Nice work, dude!
- FIX/NEW: Resolution settings work much better with multiple profiles now. When you log into a profile that profile’s resolution kicks in. Create a profile for each of your 7 TV sets, and then log in to the right profile as you carry your laptop around.
- FIX: I pulled all the fanart fixes from XBMC that were required because of the initial fanart server melting down. I’d hate to see that person’s bandwidth bill!
- FIX: Fixed an annoying bug where the last thing you entered into a text box showed up (thanks spiff!)
- FIX: Updated the German translation of some skin entries (thanks, Arthur!)
Pulled the usual fixes from XBMC and one nice feature from jmarshall, who added the much-requested enhancement to resuming in videos, and some background processing of downloads of thumbnails and fanart. Nice job, man, you always make it look easy.
I’ll leave the last word to Barkley.
Hopefully this release will cure most of the serious issues with the last one. Downloads and source at the Plex home page. Thanks to everyone for their kind comments and thorough bug reports, and a warm welcome to all the new users!
- FIX: The issue with using Remote Buddy.
- FIX: DVDs don’t play over SMB (and other non-local protocols).
- FIX: Crashes when thumbnailing MPEG2 files.
- FIX: Annoying popup asking to locate screensaver (99% sure).
- FIX: Hebrew characters should work again (i.e. be the right way around).
- FIX: Apple Movie Trailers thumbs don’t display.
- FIX: Going to full screen without visualizer doesn’t work (thanks, jmarshall!)
- FIX: Problems playing RAR files.
- FIX: Fixed a crash after playing an unplayable file.
- FIX: Cursor sounds work correctly until you play something.
- NEW: Latest version of MediaStream! We’ve added an experimental skin fontset called “Unicode” which uses Arial unicode for all the fonts, it may help international users.
- NEW: Mouse is turned off by default.
- NEW: Default username for web server is “plex” not “xbox”.
We also pulled the usual bunch of fixes from the XBMC code.
Here’s Barkley giving himself a good back scratch in the back yard.