Archive for March, 2008
The good news is that I’ve made substantial progress in getting Python to work in OSXBMC. The bad news? I’m now addicted to the Tetris script and likely won’t get much more work done this weekend.
There are still some issues to be figured out, but hopefully I’ll be able to make a release this coming week with Python enabled.
(This also means that the Mach-O processor that wraps some stdio/stdlib calls seems to be working, which means that the full power of XBMC’s virtual file system should work once I run the processor on all the libraries. Which means thumbnails over SMB and probably lot of other things.)
Now I have to get back to Tetris.
Why so quiet lately? I’ve been working on a tool that processing Mach-O shared libraries and remaps symbols, so that libraries that we load inside OSXBMC call our own versions of some functions. This is needed in order to make paths and virtual file system behavior work (e.g. so that ImageLib can be told to open “smb://…..”).
Having this working will not only allow scripts to work (with correct paths, especially), but will also fix a number of problems people have reported like “Thumbnails don’t work over SMB shares”. At least, that’s the theory.
I’ve gotten things near working to the point where the resulting libraries appear to be valid, and hooked functions are getting called, but now I’m running into some other issues. If you’d like to take a peek at the code for the Mach-O processor, it’s here.8 comments
I had a bit of time to patch a few holes, so hopefully this will fix some issues with the last release. This version is also built with the new XCode 3.1 compilers, although I wasn’t brave enough to try gcc-4.2.1. Pick it up in the usual place.
- NEW: I hacked on CxImage some more, and now we extract thumbnails directly out of the RAW files if we can. This means that browsing though directories of RAW files is now extremely fast. The embedded thumbnails are also resized and rotated appropriately.
- FIX: A merge got messed up, and the exit-on-hang (with Aeon skin, mostly?) returned. The skin unloading is again disabled, so exiting should never hang.
- NEW: I updated to the latest code, and so D4rk’s event server is now included. This means that someone could now work on building support for the PS3 remote (using this, perhaps?), as well as maybe move the Apple Remote code out into a daemon so that pressing the Menu button starts XBMC. The daemon could be written in Obj-C or Python (or any other language, of course).
- FIX: Scrapers have also been updated. If you have problems, hit the C key, select “Set Content” and then select Settings to make sure the scraper preferences are up to date and compatible with the new scrapers.
- NEW: Added the fancy disc image background that Fredrik made for us to the DMG. Thanks!
This is Barkley out on his first kayaking trip. The canoe tipped, we were all thrown into the ocean, and Barkley swam over to Anna and took away her life jacket. I’m so not kidding.